Thursday, May 23, 2013

Chocolate Drop Cookies

My Grandmother used to make these cookies for us.  I loved them.  I loved them not only because we didn't get them very often but because she made them and because I.am.a.chocoholic....period.....end.of.story.   My love of baking as well as chocolate started, in part, from making and eating these with her.  I got to help her frost them.  Part of why I love to bake is because of these cookies.  Two months ago I lost my Gramma.  She and I had a very close relationship when I was growing up.  After I married and started my own family we grew closer.  She was such a wise woman.  She was extremely artistic, loved nature, crafty, a talented seamstress, a fantastic cook, a talented singer, and a perfect example of what a woman, wife, mother, and friend should be.  I miss her to the moon and back.  Here is the recipe:

Chocolate drop cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
4 sq. unsweetened Chocolate, melted, and cooled
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla
3 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped nuts, if desired

1.   Cream together butter, sugar, and egg.  Add buttermilk and melted chocolate.  Mix thoroughly.
2.  Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
3.  Blend in nuts.
4. Refrigerate for an hour or two.  You just want it to harden a bit.
5.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
6.  Using the Pampered Chef medium scoop, scoop onto a cookies sheet.  I use the Pampered Chef Stoneware....the cookie sheet as well as the Large Round Stone with handles but whatever you like is fine.  Bake 8-10 minutes or until no imprint remains when touched.  Let cool and frost.


Frosting:
 
2 Tbsp.  butter softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 oz. melted, unsweetened baking chocolate
2 Tbs. heavy cream, or canned milk
1 cup powdered sugar

Mix all ingredients and frost cooled cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment