Saturday, August 4, 2012

Egg-cakes aka....Crepes


Here is MY recipe for crepes....because I LOVE them!!  My grandmother used to make them for us when we would spend the nights!  She called them egg-cakes and I never knew until I was cooking for my own little people that they were officially called crepes.  We had several options, slathered in butter and maple syrup, slathered in butter, sugar, and some lemon juice, or slathered with butter and homemade jam.  You can't go wrong with any of them but the newest additions to our families reptitoire' is the following:  Nutella strawberries & whipping cream, strawberries and whipping cream, or slathered in butter cinnamon and sugar....the list of possibilities is endless, which is why I love them so much!!  I've adapted my own recipe and thought you might enjoy.  They aren't difficult to make and if they are the right consistency not hard to shape/cook either.  :-)  Here you go:

1 1/2  cups flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
2 Tbsp. melted butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs

Throw it in a blender and blend it up until combined.  It should coat the back of a spoon and will be runny.  Not pancake batter, it's gonna be more like cream....I cook mine on a griddle that has a bit of a lip on it but is flat.  Mine is a Pampered Chef pan but you can use any kind of non-stick pan you like.  I just like the flat griddle that way I can get at if from any angle I need to.  Cook it on medium to medium-high heat.  Once the batter  is on the pan swirl it into a circle shape with the back of your spoon or whatever you have.  Mine are rarely actual circles.  They really just need to be kinda thin and rolled up you can't tell what their shape is....It should sizzle a bit when you put the batter on the pan.  Cook it for about 30 secs. to a minute and flip it.  Cook 15 seconds and remove.  I roll my crepes so they don't stick together and tear but you can stack em' flap jack style if you want to.

Note:  If you want to fill these crepes with savory stuffins' just omit the vanilla.  :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment