Saturday, August 4, 2012

Homemade Ketchup

I got this recipe from a Gluten-Free food blog that I visit called Adventures Of A Gluten-Free Mom.  It was my first time trying it and I tweaked it to what I wanted it to taste like.  While I was making it the boys came in and said, "Hey!  Why does it smell like ketchup in here?!"  I knew I was on the right track!  Yeaa!  The ingredients freaked me out a bit but they are PERFECT!  Here it is:

2 (6oz.) cans tomato paste
1/2 apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. Garlic powder
1 Tbsp. Onion Powder
1/4 tsp.  plus 1/8 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 cinnamon stick
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. molasses
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar

Throw everything into a pot/saucepan and bring to low boil over medium heat.  Let it simmer on low to medium low for 40 minutes or until it's the consistency you want.  Remove the cinnamon stick and put it in a mason jar or other container.  It will keep 2 weeks in the fridge.  My kids LOVE it.  They think it's better than the stuff we buy at the store.  Winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment